Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Slipping on the Clay Slip

Slipping on the Clay Slip


The insulation for the ceiling consists of straw coated in what they call a "clay slip." The first step in making the clay slip is to dig a hole (maybe 6' x 6' x 2'), line it with a plastic tarp, put several wheel barrows of clay rich subsoil and fill with water. After mixing vigorously, some of the clay will become suspended in the water and when it reaches its saturation point, you have a clay slip.

They then sprinkle this liquid mud liberally on the loose straw, coating it to reduce the fire hazard. Ordinarily they let this pile of wet straw sit for several days, allowing it to dry out considerably. The drying process makes the straw lighter and much easier to deal with.

But because I need to see all aspects of this construction technique before I leave in 11 days, the guys had to alter their normal procedure. Just after wetting the straw, they began to toss it up into the attic space and spread it around.

While this WAS quite messy, it was also a lot of fun (think Woodstock). At one point I was stationed on the ridge, catching the balls of wet straw that Mohammed (who has quite an arm) was tossing to me. One of his tosses went a bit astray, and while stretching for it I slipped and slid part way down the truss I was standing astride. I was not hurt (much) and came up laughing with my now universally expected, "kui bot nahin" but Surkhab was less amused. I'm sure he would suffer not only in this world but also in the next were anything to happen to me so he told me to get down (at least from the ridge).

Since I had accomplished what I needed to up there, I complied without protest and all is well.

The roof purlins have all been placed and the cgi (corrugated galvanized iron) roofing will go on tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment