Wednesday, September 22, 2010

It's a Wonderful Life

It's a Wonderful Life
 
I mentioned briefly the driving conditions here, but allow me to expand.  The roads are typical of the developing world (he said as if he knew what he was talking about).  They get the job done, but without all the fanfare of u.s. roads.  When I hear folks whine about the potholes in Atascadero I think back on what I saw in West Africa and now what I've seen here.  Now THESE are potholes!  These things will swallow a small compact whole.  You do NOT go over these, you go around.  Along with all manner of other traffic from motor bikes to large (and brightly decorated – see my flickr page) transport trucks are the folks walking along the side, with or without their sheep, goats, cows or camels.  They are only barely wide enough for 2 vehicles (and sometimes not) so one needs to be alert, have nerves of steel, have a working horn and not be afraid to use it.  The horn is an essential part of driving, warning folks to move aside, or keep out of the way.  Were the horn to be used indiscriminately to express some degree of frustration or rage as in, say, New York City or Boston, it would soon loose its effectiveness a la the boy-who-cried-wolf syndrome.  Instead, at exactly the proper moment a small toot is provided as a courtesy and a warning.  Folks really do have a natural survival instinct so it all seems to work quite well.  I've seen not one accident, nor one seriously dented vehicle, nor one cop.  So when I get on the back of Haddi's Honda 350 and we gingerly make our way through and around all of these obstacles, I feel completely at ease.  I sit back (but not too far back) and enjoy the ride.
 
We are nearly finished with this first house and will have a ceremony on Sunday to give the keys to a widow so she and her 4 kids can move in.  I will be intimately involved in this ceremony for 2 reasons.  Because I donated the money to make this house possible, I will have the honor of presenting her with the keys and am expected to say something appropriate.
 
It reminds me of a scene from, "It's a Wonderful Life" when Mary (Donna Reed) and George Bailey (Jimmy Stewart) do the same thing for an immigrant family who has financed their affordable home through the Bailey Building and Loan.  As my poor old addled brain recalls, Mary presents them with a basket of food, while saying, "may you never be hungry" along with some other great stuff that I wish I could remember.  If anyone else remembers this scene please send details soon.
 
Speaking of addled old brains, the other reason Sunday will be fun is that mine will turn 58 on that day (though I'm demanding a recount).  Pakistani hospitality is legendary and there is no way that the guys will not use this as an occasion to celebrate even more.  A cake is in the works and god knows what else.
 
Meanwhile, I continue to have a wonderful life here in Pakistan.  After a light day on the job, I went back with Haddi to his place along with Rustam and Manzoor.  Rustam and Manzoor took me down to the creek (which was lovely) and then up to a plateau where Rustam's dad, Palis, lives (which has a spectacular view).  These guys are young (20's) and both speak some English.  We managed to have quite a chat along the way, it was very fun.
 
Then it was back to Haddi's place for dinner and Pakistani music videos.  Finally back here to download, upload and write this.
 
My, what a wonderful life!

No comments:

Post a Comment